Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Hummer Problems

Last night driving home it was -5F and then Hummer seemed fine.  Then suddenly on the highway it started losing power drastically.  Looking down at the dash it had the check engine light, traction control light, and said, “stability system failure.  Reduced power” just like this video (http://youtu.be/Mku-HKiOglw).  I hobbled into a gas station and shut it off for a bit then started it again.  Just like before it had a rough burbling idle so I shut it off and popped the hood.

I checked the oil because the last time I got the oil changed it was suspiciously low but it was fine.  Then looked for anything strange but again nothing.  Then went into the station to get a warm coffee.  When I returned I started it again and it was running smooth.  All lights and messages were off with the exception of the engine light so I drove on home.  Starting it and driving to work this morning was also without incident.


Looking online there seems to be a huge pile of reasons for that message.  Maybe I could just chalk it up to the extreme temperatures?  What I don’t understand is what the heck the stability system has to do with the engine’s power??  Why would it reduce the power? Dangerous thing to happen on the highway in extreme conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment