Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

Concepts Are Sometimes Just Concepts

There has been some recent buzz regarding some 2016 muscle car additions.  Specifically the 2016 Ford Torino and the 2016 Chevy Chevelle.  Will these cars actually happen?

Frankly I don’t think there is a market out there that would allow these to be made.  Each of the Big 3 already has their player in the game.  Chevrolet has the Camaro, Ford has the Mustang, and Dodge has the Challenger.  Each has several models and options for whatever you want to spend.  So is the public really screaming for more muscle car options?  I don't feel they are.  With everything going “Eco” I don’t see the need for more V8 gas guzzlers.  But let’s say they aren't going V8, let’s assume they like the Mustang are going to have an Ecoboost option.  Do you think muscle car enthusiasts would want their new Chevelle to have a boosted 4 cylinder under the hood?  A turbo charged 4 cylinder really isn't what owning a muscle car is about.  I know I wouldn't want one.  If I wanted fuel economy I would not be looking at a muscle car.


In regards to the Torino I don't even remember the Torino have much of a muscle car presence back in the day.  I don't think most people even know the Torino existed.  I raced against a few back in my day but they really weren't much unless the owner put some work into that 351 Cleveland V8.  Realistically I just see these as some cool concepts that will never see the streets.  Kind of hope I'm wrong though.

No comments:

Post a Comment