Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2016

I Got Away With IT! ..... sort of.

Insurance in Canada is crazy expensive.  I really don't know why people put up with it.  In the US my 2007 Mustang GT cost me about $85 a month through Allstate.  Here in Canada my 2007 Hummer H3 costs me about $100 more than that.  That's right, almost $200 Canadian.  Insane.


So before I bought the GT500 I contacted my insurance agent and said, "If I buy a car in Canada and register it in Ontario can you still insure it?" She said sure.  So I then contacted Service Ontario (Ontario DMV) and asked if I could use a US insurer to cover a car registered in Ontario?  Their reply was, "Allstate is an accepted insurance company in Ontario."  So to me that said yes.

So yesterday I go to Service Ontario to finalize my GT500's registration.  I applied for two years and when it came time to finalize they said, "Wait, it says you don't have insurance."  I then showed her the paperwork from Allstate saying I did have insurance and they said, "Well it's not in the Ontario database."  I said. "That's because it's a US insurer." "Oh you can't do that."  But I checked with Ontario Service and they said I could and my insurer said I could and I couldn't have gotten a loan without full coverage.

Frustrated she said, "I can override it once and allow it but when your stickers expire you won't be able to do it again."

So I guess we'll see what happens then but for now I'm good for two years of my GT500 legally on the road using cheap US insurance.  Of course it all happened just in time to have an April cold snap and blizzard.  I'm afraid there is no cure for Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment